Tuesday 23 June 2015

PDA in Barcelona

Coming into my third week in Barcelona, it is safe to say I love this city. The culture, the weather, and the people are to name but a few of the great things in this wonderful place. What I did not expect though, is the love that couples in this city show to one another. Yes, I´m talking about PDA (or public displays of affection).  
I am from the UK, generally seen as a liberal and open-minded place. However, when it comes to PDA, we British turn our noses up at the very sight of it. In the words of Hannah Bett from The Telegraph, “We are British, for the love of God. We do not do this. PDAs are for children and foreigners - the emotionally incontinent, and / or people with something to prove.” While people might hold hands and occasionally kiss, it is nothing like the scenes that are displayed here in Spain.

So it came as a shock to me when sitting on the beach, walking around day or night or even sitting in a restaurant, that Barcelonians have no problems getting lost in each other`s… well, mouths. In some ways, I see it as refreshing that people don´t care what others think of them. However, there is a line, and at some point I can´t help but think ´Oh, get a room!`. Some nations in the Middle East and areas of Asia frown upon PDA greatly - hand-holding, hugging and kissing are illegal in some countries, with huge penalties for doing so. But this is the other end of the extreme, where people are forced to restrain themselves and will face prison, or worse, if they do not. 

A blog post by a North American speaks about her experience in another Hispanic nation, saying: “The first time I visited Argentina, I was shocked to see teenagers lying under trees in public parks, just sucking face like there was no tomorrow.” One may assume that because of the strict Catholicism in these nations that couples would be more modest in displaying their affection, but after being here for just two weeks, I can say that this is not the case.

I don´t hate it, it´s just not what I´m used to, being from the UK. And hey, if they´re happy, then who am I to judge? I guess it´s just one of those things we´ll adjust to in the process of becoming Barcelonian.




Speaking Latino. (2014). Dating Latinos It’s Different: PUBLIC DISPLAYS OF AFFECTION (PDA). Available: http://www.speakinglatino.com/dating-latinos-its-different-public-displays-of-affection-pda/.Last accessed 23/06/2015. 

No comments:

Post a Comment